On a whim the other night I decided that I would make a chicken Alfredo dish. Meal planning has been a little lacking lately and I was trying to figure out what to do for dinner and this struck me as an option. So I pulled out what I think is my “go to” recipe for Alfredo sauce and went from there. That recipe can be read here. I’ve made it at least once but think I’ve done it before, just not posted about since I usually don’t post about the same recipes unless I’m making significant changes. Which I ended up doing for this one.
Making it “on a whim” usually is going to mean that I won’t have something laying around that is a part of the recipe. This time there were a few of those things but it was easy to substitute or leave out. So, there is what I did.
- Obviously the pasta is different as I chose to use the box of cavatappi rather than fettuccine.
- For the chicken I used 1 1/2 pounds which was about four smaller breasts.
- I found out I was out of Italian seasoning so I used some Herbs de Provence.
- I skipped the mushrooms (and the tomatoes and sour cream).
- I used black pepper over white pepper.
- I didn’t have any half and half so I used another cup of milk. We only buy whole milk so it was closer than a 2% would have been.
- I used mozzarella in place of the Monterey Jack.
So, lots of changes and/or substitutions but overall it was a very good dish. In once sense the end result was more of a “regular” (plain) Alfredo sauce than adding in all that other stuff.
Excellent meal, I definitely recommend this.