Once again, this recipe has been hanging around for quite some time before I finally decided to make it. I’ve had the ingredients including a jar of crystallized ginger that I bought for some reason who knows how long ago. But, if you have read any of my previous posts you’ll know that I have too many recipes and too little time. Read the recipe here.
Overall these turned out well. I don’t believe I’ve ever had them before but the taste was familiar – that molasses and raisin flavor. They were pretty easy to put together as well. The only issue I had was that the raisin and ginger mix turned into more of a wet clump (all stuck together) rather than small pieces. Well, I guess there were smaller pieces but it was all clumped together. I had to separate the clump into the smaller pieces before mixing in all the rest of the stuff.
Speaking of mixing, it didn’t specify but I did it all by hand. It didn’t seem like enough to warrant the use of the stand mixer. I made the dough Sunday evening and left it in the fridge overnight. Probably not quite 12 hours before I made the cookies themselves.
That process worked pretty well although I didn’t take special care to square off all the sides with a ruler as suggested. I felt good enough about using my hands to do the job. Granted, that made for some interesting shaped cookies once the log spread out during baking but nothing that was an issue. Who knows, maybe it would have spread out funny anyways with the use of the ruler. Regardless, all it meant was that the sides were not square. Well, two sides were not.
I trimmed the outside edges of the logs and tried to cut them into two inch pieces. Doing that got me 20 cookies plus some scraps. Not too bad for the effort. And the effort wasn’t that bad anyways.