This recipe came in an email from King Arthur Flour and was listed as the 2016 Recipe of the Year. So, of course, I had to try it. You can read the recipe here.
This recipe is interesting based on the method which is basically to combine everything and let it sit. For days. Which is what I did. In the end, it turned out okay but I think a little operator error left it the way it is (see picture). I did not put any cuts in it and as a result, I believe, it puffed into more of a ball shape and split open a bit. And I left it go the full 35 minutes which I think was a little too long.
Now, it didn’t burn it or anything like that and it still tasted good but it was a little darker than I had expected (or wanted). I only used 1/3 of the dough so I have a bit more to try it again. I will agree that it didn’t really “rise” while it came up to room temperature but did settle and spread out. That had concerned me for what size of a loaf I would have and I was pleased to have it puff up in the oven.
For the overall method, I did used active dry yeast and, while I didn’t have to stick it straight in the fridge (I wasn’t pressed for time) I did anyway. It seemed easier to just put it in there and let it go rather than messing around with it. It stayed there about a week before I made the first loaf. I used a five quart mixing bowl to let it rise in. I found no issues with that being too small.
I’d recommend giving this a try. I need to try it again (baking the rest of it that is). Partly to see if I can get the loaf to turn out better and partly to use up the dough.