In a moment of miscommunication my wife and I both went to the store (different stores) and we both came home with 2 packages of strawberries. Now, while we like strawberries, that was a lot of strawberries to try and use up. Luckily in one of the weekly emails I get from the company King Arthur Flour, this recipe for berry tiramisu was there. Granted I had to go back to the store to get some other items, like the mascarpone cheese but in the end, it was worth it.
I ended up making this on a Saturday morning and it sat, all prepared, in the fridge for over 24 hours before we ate it. That worked out well as it does say to let it sit for at least an hour, or overnight, to let it set up. And that is important as the filling was a bit runny. I get the feeling it was supposed to be spreadable but I don’t know if it was supposed to be as spreadable as I had it. But, I followed the directions on it so I guess maybe it was. The issue there was that it was running of the sides, creating a little bit of a mess.
Creating a mess was a little bit of a theme with this. The syrup part, which was supposed to soak into the cake, didn’t want to soak in, at least at first. Which caused some of it to run off and all over the place. But in the end it all got put together and looked pretty good. And tasted pretty good as well.
I made a few changes out of necessity. I went “full on orange” with this as I used some orange extract in place of the almond extract as we were out of the almond extract (go figure). When it came to the filling I used Prague juice in place of the alcohol (as suggested) to make it kid friendly. Also, I wanted to use up the dried lemon/orange zest only to find that I had very little lemon zest and had to use orange in its place. It did mean I used up the lemon which was part of the plan but it added to the orange flavor.
Now, all that being said, I don’t feel like it was overpowering with orange flavor but it certainly had more that planned.
In the end it was a great dessert. Highly recommend it.