Almost every Mother’s Day for the last 10-12 years has been celebrated, in part, by dinner at our house for both sides of the family. Some years I’ve gone over board with what/how much I’ve made and some I’ve managed to be a little more low key. This year fell somewhere in the middle. I still had a few different things I made but managed to make them slowly over the course of the day instead of in a mad dash at the end. Plus some other people brought things.
This was the dessert I made, having found it on Alton Brown’s blog. He calls it Chocolate Muffins #7 as it was the seventh recipe they tried before calling it good. They made a good choice in this recipe. I wasn’t sure exactly how it would turn out, especially since I was using it for a dessert but he was calling it a muffin, which to me implied more of a breakfast type item. And I thought about pairing it with ice cream but again, a muffin and ice cream? Ultimately it came out pretty dense (in a good way) that to me made it more like a cupcake than a muffin. And, after choosing to not serve it with ice cream, it would have worked well with it.
There were only two things I did differently than the recipe said. One was something didn’t do and one was an addition. He says to sift the dry ingredients together as having air was important. And if you didn’t have a softer, to put it in the food processor. Well, I don’t have a softer so I planned on using the food processor. Until, that is, I realized I had just gotten it dirty making something else. And I didn’t want to go through the trouble of washing it. So I put the dry ingredients in a bowl and stirred it with a whisk, trying to “fluff” it up. I have no idea if it worked, but it made me feel a bit better.
The second thing is I added some raspberry sugar from the Spice and Tea Exchange to the tops of each muffin before baking. It was a nice addition. You can see the sugar on top in the picture.
For baking, I did get all the batter into one, 12 spot muffin pan, although after baking one was a lot smaller than the rest. The batter was very thick which was both good and bad. It was a little easier to handle, but it was more difficult to really see if the cups were filled. You had to keep pushing it down. I started with baking them for the minimum amount of time and added a few more minutes as they were not quite done. As you can maybe see in the picture, they rose up out of the holes. Thankfully I sprayed the top of the pan with nonstick spray. I’ve learned to just coat the pan. Too many times the muffins/cupcakes have gotten stuck.
Presentation-wise it was a little lackluster as it was just a muffin but they tasted good. Highly recommend this, even if you don’t have the sugar to add to the top.