This is a type of recipe where I might normally breakout two or three parts of it into separate blog posts as I like to put my focus on one recipe at a time. However, as all three were already combined into one “super recipe”, I decided just to do it all as one post. Plus, you could argue that the recipe is really for the sandwich, you just have to make three different things in order to make the sandwich. You can read the recipe here.
Overall, these turned out to be great. I expected them to be a bit bigger. Honestly, in my mind I was going to wind up putting two or three meatballs on each of the biscuits as I had this idea that a 2″ biscuit was really big. Not so much.
Let’s break this down a bit and start with the biscuits. First, this was yet another one that turned into a whole wheat biscuit. Yep, really miscalculated the flour for these last few recipes. But the whole wheat aspect worked well. Also, I had a 2 1/8″ biscuit cutter which, as I mentioned above, was not as big as I was thinking it was. The biscuit recipe says it yields 12 yet, I was able to get 30+ out of it. Part of that reason I believe was that I rolled it out too thin. There wasn’t any instruction on how thin to roll it so I just rolled it until I felt it was good. Plus, I scooped the scraps up and re-rolled it to make more. In the end, although they were pretty thin, little biscuits it worked out. I had about the same number of meatballs.
On to the meatballs. The biggest change, and only change, here was that I didn’t use veal. I had planned on it but then forgot to go to the second store to look for it. (That seems to happen a lot.) instead I just used a second pound of beef. Kind of the same thing. The meatballs still tasted great. This didn’t say exactly how many meatballs I should have at the end but it also suggested baking them in a mini muffin pan so I had to make them small enough to fit. Plus I knew how many of the biscuits I had and wanted to make it match if possible. I think I did a decent job doing that as I wound up with about 30 meatballs. Some I had to bake just on a pan. In hindsight I maybe should have made some of the others bigger so they could all bake in the pan but it worked out.
The only downside I found with using the mini muffin pan is that the meatballs sat in their own grease while cooking. Maybe that’s not a big deal but, it felt a little extra unhealthy.
For the sauce, it didn’t feel like I actually had a sauce, but rather some diced tomatoes that had been cooked with some stuff. The tomatoes never really “broke down” to be a sauce in my opinion. However, I did have one person tell me that they felt that the sauce really made the sandwich. So there is that. And I don’t mean to make it sound as if the sauce wasn’t good, it just didn’t feel like a sauce to me. I did have to make one change to the sauce as that was using some dried basil instead of fresh. The store was out of fresh. I just kind of guesstimated on an amount which was about a teaspoon. Probably not as much as what they were calling for but in tasting it, it tasted good.
Oh and for the cheese, I had bought some pre-sliced smoked provolone and used 1/4 of each slice for each sandwich. The sandwiches turned out to be pretty tall (compared to their overall size) so I needed to use a toothpick to hold at least the top onto the meatball. I should have dug out the skewers I have (somewhere) but I was worried that I was going to break the top part of the biscuit and it wouldn’t hold together at all.
While this was a decent amount of work to put together, they were great. If I was to compile a lot of appetizers that I would make for future parties, this would probably be on it.