One New Year’s Day we went to a party and one of the dishes someone had made was a turkey tetrazzini. I tried and liked it enough that I wanted to try making a tetrazzini myself. I didn’t want to do a turkey one but rather chose chicken as I knew we had a bunch in the freezer. A quick Google search led me to this recipe on the Food Network’s website.
Excellent recipe. It is a little involved as there are lots of steps and lots of ingredients (and a decent amount of multi-tasking) but it turned out to be fantastic.
I do think it took me longer to put it together than the recipe suggested it would, not including one misstep. The biggest thing I found was some of the cooking times. For example, it took a lot longer than 1 to 2 minutes for the mushrooms to cook, especially with a whole pound in the pan. Little things like that. But, I knew it might take longer so I tried to give myself that extra time. But I will admit I was getting worried that we were going to have to push back dinner. Then I re-read the recipe and noticed that it only needed to bake for about 25 minutes. Piece of cake.
I did make a few tweaks to this. Since it didn’t call for a specific weight of the chicken breasts (just “4”) I decided to use 5 since a few I had were smaller. Since we had company coming over for dinner, I wanted to be sure to have enough. Speaking of the chicken, that’s another one where it took a lot longer to cook that the recipe stated. I don’t know what kind of chicken breasts they were using but mine were pretty thick. I even wound up cutting them in half so it wouldn’t take as long to cook. Oh, and, making this recipe I got to use a nifty new tool I got for Christmas, a salad chopper, which can also be used to shred cooked meat. It worked really well. Definitely going to use that more for things like this and pulled pork.
Other changes included using 1 1/2 teaspoons of dried thyme in place of the fresh and about a tablespoon of dried parsley in place of the fresh. I also probably used twice as much of the peas than it called for. I measured out a cup from the bag and there was only a little bit left in the bag so I decided to use it up.
I did have one misstep while making this. You know the old adage “a watched pot never boils”? Well, I have a new one – an un-watched pot boils over very quickly. I can’t remember exactly what I was doing at the time but I had felt like I was watching the milk/cream/broth mixture but all of a sudden it was boiling over. ALL over the stove. Including burning onto the burners that were in use / had been in use. (Smooth glass cooktop). Not fun. Not fun at all. That put a little wrinkle in the plans and even involved opening the patio door and turning a fan in (which here meant also cooling down the house – brrrrrrrr). But I got it cleaned up as best I could but some of it had to stay stuck on the burners as I still needed to use the burners to finish. It took quite awhile (the next morning) to scrub it clean.
BUT, in the end the dish turned out to be excellent. And that is all that really matters.