I think I need to start by saying that, while I have made plenty of cakes, my wife is the cake expert. At least when it comets to decorating cakes. She does a fantastic job and I, well, let’s just say that on this one I’m glad I had the option to put chopped walnuts all over the frosting to hide how bad it was. It was bad.
On to the actual cake baking part. I followed the recipe exactly with the exception of putting walnuts in the cake. From a mixing and baking standpoint, everything turned out well. It was a little darker than I expected it to be and it was a little sticky. But, not having made a carrot cake before, for all I knew that was normal.
Speaking of not having made a carrot cake before – while making it (and having made a zucchini bread recently) I realized that carrot cake, zucchini bread and banana bread all have the same basic structure. Each has some kind of base of sugar, oil, eggs and then the flour and spices. Never occurred to me that it was basically the same with the final ingredient being what made it different.
Anyway, I digress. Again. In reading the recipe I saw that it said the cakes should be at least a day old before assembling which I though was ridiculous because I didn’t hate time to wait a day, I was going to make the cake. I had plenty of other things to make (see previous two posts) for dinner (there were 13 adults and 5 kids going to be there). But then, without really realizing it I let the cakes sit for about a day. I make the cake the night before WITH the intention of putting it all together that night but it didn’t work out that way. So, the cake sat, in the three round pans, in a cupboard, for close to 24 hours. How about that.
Now, I probably should have taken the cakes out of the pan and then let them sit as when I went to get them out of the pan I had a bit of trouble. Make that a lot of trouble. No matter how well the pan was greased, I gave it about 24 hours to seal back up. I had to take a plate and put it on the pan so I could flip it over and bang it on the counter until it came out of the pan. The first two came half out of the pan and I had to take a knife to get the rest out. Luckily it was getting stacked up with frosting in the middle to bind it all together. The last cake came out pretty well.
Speaking of the frosting, it didn’t get too much in between as I was more worried about how much I would have for the outside of the cake. It turned out fine but in the end I could have (and should have) put more in between each layer. And, as I mentioned, it was a mess trying to get it all frosted and smoothed out. I had bought the walnuts to just put around the edges of the cake but I ended up putting them all over.
In the end it looked pretty decent and tasted great. So I’d call it a success.
Here is a link to the recipe from the Food Network — Carrot Cake