Forgive me for the delay in posting. We have been on vacation with little to no cell service. But now we are back, or at least at a place where I can easily get online, and I can play catch up. Also, I made this over a week ago so bear with me on this as I am trying to recall everything about it.
Although, I did have a little bit of trouble with these. But it was 100% operator error. I had one of the biggest brain lapses (while cooking) I had ever had. More on that in a bit.
While one of the greatest things I like about this blog is the fact that the quantities are always small, I choose the double this recipe as I was taking it into work to share. That’s where, partly things went wrong. I didn’t quite double the size of the pan (it would have to be 8×16) choosing to use a 9×13 pan instead. Actually, not “instead of” as I didn’t have the right size pan to begin with. Plus, I’m not sure they make that size of a pan. Anyways.
The size of the pan wasn’t really an issue but when I laid the foil in, I used two pieces which caused there to be a place that stuff could leak out to the actual pan itself. That came back to haunt me.
The only real issue I had with the recipe (something that wasn’t my fault) was the use of the condensed milk. Using it wasn’t an issue but the recipe called for “about” half a can. So, when I doubled it I figured that meant “about” a whole can. I’m sure that was right but I think it was too much. It just filled the pan up. OR maybe it was because the pan size was off………now that I think about that, maybe that was the case. Probably was the case. Okay, I retract the previous statement and put this down again as an operator error.
Ok, on to the big brain lapse. It said to bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes it was nowhere close to being done and not even close to just being almost done. So I reset the timer for 5-10 minutes and went about checking it. It never seemed to be getting any better. After about 30 more minutes I was getting really concerned that something was wrong. Then I noticed that it wasn’t really that warm in the oven. So I checked it. It was off. OFF. I HAD TURNED THE OVEN OFF after the first 30 minutes was up. Oh boy. No wonder it was getting better.
So, I turned the oven back on and about 10 minutes later it was bubbling up and looking about done. Go figure.
Back to the foil. I can’t say for sure exactly what happened, but some stuff leaked out of the foil and stuck to the pan. Also, the foil stuck to the bars. It was an interesting time, cutting the bars and then picking bits of foil off of the bottom, all while trying not to make it a gooey mess. (Which it kind of was anyways.)
Now, on to the most important part – taste. Overall they were fan-freaking-tastic. Although I would highly recommend that if you want to double it, do so in two separate 8×8 pans.