Well, in the end this tasted good but did not turn out in “bar” form as the recipe described. It turned out much more like a cobbler. There isn’t anything wrong with cobbler but I was hoping for the bars as the recipe described. Part of the problem, or, all of the problem most likely, was that I cut the recipe in half. Not that that was specifically the problem but a full recipe calls for a 9×13 pan. I wound up using a smaller pan but it was about 7×10 so it wasn’t quite half the size.
Which, now that I think about it more, that might not have been quite the problem. AN even smaller pan would have increased the problem I had. The biggest issue I ran across was that the topping covered most of the pan. This seemed to make it less bar like, and more cobbler like. It also made it harder to see if the bottom was done.
Anyway, it turned out fine, tasted fine, it just didn’t wind up as a bar. Maybe if I made the whole recipe it would have worked out in the right pan. As a result, I didn’t bother with the icing. Plus, it wasn’t really something that could be cut out into bar form anyway. Moderate failure but when something still tastes good, it’s not quite a failure.