Cooking has been sporadic (actually almost nonexistent) as I’ve been traveling recently. It’s hard to cook when your not there and even hard to cook right after you get back when you are trying to get your bearings back.
But this was on the list for a while to make and was a good project to do with the kids. Pretty easy to put together and they liked helping (in general) with putting the apples in.
I actually don’t have much to say about this one other than it was a mini failure. Basically, the middle didn’t cook. The recipe said to bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick came out clean. I started with the 30 minutes – definitely not done so I put it in for another 10 minutes. After that time was up (40 minutes total) a toothpick came out clean so I took it out. After 10-15 minutes of it sitting to cool in the pan, I went to take it out. It was then that it stuck to the bottom while the middle part fell out. Definitely not cooked.
But, it was too late to put it back in so I just left it. The edges were nice and cooked but I had to scrape out the middle. Not sure why it turned out that way bit I do think having the apples in the middle messed up my toothpick test.
But it still tasted good and I would recommend eating it with ice cream (and maybe some caramel sauce). I did make one change, and that was substituting applesauce (my homemade applesauce) for the butter as suggested in one of the comments on the website. I think it worked well, but in felt like the batter was a little more liquid-y than it would have been with butter. I can’t say, for sure, that it affected the outcome but it does make me wonder as the middle didn’t cook.