As with many of my recipes this was printed off and stuck in the pile on the counter of other printouts and cooking related magazines. Not a lot of detail on the page printed out which made me feel like I was missing something when it came time to make it. And making it was a bit of a whim the night I did. Searching for something to make, not wanting to take a lot of time or be too complicated I suddenly realized that I had this recipe for pizza dough and had some leftover sausage in the fridge.
So pizza it was. However, as it seemed like I was missing something on the recipe I started googling the recipe trying to find it again online to double check it. Shouldn’t have been that hard, it’s only two ingredients – Greek yogurt and self-rising flour. I never found the same recipe but was able to read through a few others. It was good from the standpoint of learning more but bad from the standpoint. That each one was different. Some had a one to one ratio of yogurt and flour, some said you should never do that and always use more flour and others included more ingredients.
In the end I chose to stick with my recipe, feeling good about the prospects.
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup Greek yogurt (plain)
Simple enough right? Mix it together, roll it out, top it off however you like. Well, I only had a 6 oz container of yogurt (less than 1 cup). I decided just to use it with the same amount of flour. Didn’t work as well. I also tried to mix it by hand – also didn’t work as well. I should have used the stand mixer although that felt like overkill for the small amount I was making. I ended up using my hands to finish mixing the dough together and even then didn’t get all the four mixed in. It did say to kneed the dough a few times which I did, just a lot more than a few.
But eventually I had a pretty decent ball of dough. Rolling it out proved tricky as it was a little dry. The edges were cracking as I rolled it out. It definitely didn’t look like the picture on my print out. But, it still wasn’t too bad. I put it on an air bake cookie sheet (on a piece of parchment paper) and topped it off.
Toppings were – half of a can of tomato paste spread out with dried oregano and garlic flakes sprinkled on it, mozzarella cheese, Italian sausage (probably a 1/3 of a pound – what I had leftover) and a small can of sliced mushrooms.
I baked it at 400 degrees for 30 minutes which was the timing given on the crust recipe. As a result some of the cheese was starting to brown. I should have probably let it cook for about 15 minutes and then topped it off and finished it for another 15 minutes. After all nothing on the pizza really needed cooking.
The crust turned out ok. The exposed edges cracked and got pretty hard. But underneath all the toppings it was soft and a little chewy. Definitely a thin crust pizza. Definitely something to try again, just need to play with it some more.